View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:35 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
Activation on multiple phones. 
Forum newbie
Forum newbie

I have been thinking about the IMEI dependent lock method you use in your games for a while now and I have some questions I would really like you to answer.

When a person purchases a game from Infinite Dreams, they get an unlock code based on their phone's IMEI number. This basically means, that the game will be forever locked to the device it was originally purchased for. I fully understand, that IMEI method is the only choice, as regular unlock serial could be re-used and nobody likes DRM.

So let's take a look at a following scenarios:

A - I have bought a game, received an unlock code calculated using my IMEI and all was good. After a while, I bought a new phone and stopped using the old one. Let's say that both phones are S60v1. I would like to install the game I once paid for on my new device, but the IMEI is obviously different and I can't use my legally purchased copy on my new phone. What do I do?

B - Let's say I have legally purchased a game for my phone, which was S60v1 and after few years I bought a newer phone. Not only is the IMEI different, but it's a S60v3 phone. I'm no longer using my old phone and would like to have my legally bought game on the new phone. What do I do?

C - The phone I legally purchased my game for no longer works because I dropped it. I have the game installation files and my legally purchased unlock code, but the device it was purchased for no longer works. I would like to be able to play my game on a new phone. What do I do?

Am I entitled to a new code or do I have to buy new copies of the exact same game over and over again? People buy new phones often these days. Sometimes they throw away their old ones, sometimes the device breaks, sometimes it gets lost or stolen. In other words, even though I paid money for my game, it doesn't exist outside the device it was originally locked to.

This is obviously more of a moral than legal dilemma. I'm assuming that according to the law, you get your IMEI locked copy for your money and that's that. Infinite Dreams can either be cool about it and grant you a new code giving you a benefit of the doubt or tell you to buy the game again. That's what I'm guessing, anyway.

What is Infinite Dreams' official take on this? I don't think this matter was discussed before and I would really like to see an in-depth explanation. I am aware that in scenario B I'm talking about different platforms, and that might be like asking a company to give me a free copy of a game for Mac, while I originally bought it on PC. Ok, maybe the difference isn't that big, but still, S60v1 and v3 are clearly incompatible and it can be assumed they're completely different.

Thank you for your time and for your answers.

Morden

Sun May 03, 2009 11:29 am
Profile WWW
ID Member
ID Member

Formally the license is attached to the device. But if you wish to transfer your license from old phone to the new one - please send an email to our support. We'll gladly help you there!

Wed May 06, 2009 9:33 am
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 2 posts ]